National research shows that poor language and communication skills have a profound effect on the life chances of children and young people. This highly practical book will enable you to give children in your care the help they need to build their crucial language skills at the earliest point in their development.
Based on the author’s highly regarded SPIRALS language development programme, the book provides over 40 tried and tested sessions to help develop children’s early speech, language and communication. Each language concept is introduced one at a time and builds on the most frequently used words by infants. It suggests ways to use music, repetition, simple meaningful gestures and signing to reinforce children’s understanding.
- Clear guidelines for introducing specific games and activities at the right developmental level for babies and toddlers to develop their language skills from 0 to 3 ½ years
- Ideas for progression based on child development
- Insights into the underlying psychology of the activities we suggest
- Advice on when to begin to use small group activities
- Guidance on what to do if a child is reluctant to join in.
- Practical suggestions for involving parents as partners
- Photocopiable recording sheets
- Suggestions for further reading and resources.
Written by a leading authority in the field, this exciting new resource provides everything you need to support young children’s language skills at the earliest point in their development.